A French overseas territory with African roots, Creole culture and a bit of French je ne sais quoi. There are no big developments in the archipelago – just quiet villages, lush rainforest, waterfalls, mangrove fringed beaches and a volcanic peak. Highlights include:
- Pointe-a-Pitre, known for its lively local markets which is also the place to go for for boat trips around the surrounding islands
- snorkelling off the south coast of Grande Terre
- the island of Basse Terre with its active volcano La Soufriere,
- the sandy beaches, sugar cane fields, and restaurants of Grande Terre.
- basking on beautiful and unspoilt beaches in Iles des Saintes
- absorbing Caribbean plantation history on Marie-Galante, which feels like 18th-century Caribbean