Argentina is a land of immense beauty and diversity. There are desert like rocky landscapes, lakes of infinite shades of blue, stunning mountains, fertile vineyards and wild grasslands. Wildlife includes whales, penguins, sea lions, howler monkeys, capybaras, caiman and anacondas. You can have as active a holiday as you like in Argentina: cycling around the streets of Buenos Aires, ice trekking on a glacier, hiking in Los Glaciares national park; rafting or kayaking the many lakes and rivers. It is also a great self-drive destination. Highlights of Argentina include:
- the classic European architecture, plazas and boulevards of Buenos Aires;
- Iguazu Falls, one of the world’s most impressive natural wonders. It lies on the border between Argentina and Brazil with a network of walking trails on the Argentinian side;
- the wine capital of Mendoza where the micro climate is home to some magnificent wine growing estates;
- the north west of the country with its spectacular red desert earth landscapes;
- Argentina’s Lake District in north Patagonia. Stunning blue lakes with a backdrop of the snow topped Andes. A great place for rafting, hiking, cycling, fishing and kayaking;
- the Ibera wetlands, second in size only to Brazil’s Pantenal in South America. Here you will find an abundance of wildlife which you can discover on horseback or by boat;
- the Valdes peninsula, a haven for marine life where in season you can see Right whales and Magellanic penguins;
- Argentinian Patagonia with its majestic peaks and sparkling lakes and further south, glacier filled valleys and lakes. Here you can not only see glaciers up close but also experience some of the best hiking in the world in Los Glaciares national park.
- at the southernmost point of the continent, Tierra del Fuego, an archipelago shared with Chile and the jumping off point for expeditions to Antarctica.