Natural wonders and rich cultures abound in this South American country renowned for Machu Picchu, recognised as one the new seven wonders of the world. Active travellers can trek into Machu Picchu, the less active can take the picturesque train. There are some spectacular train journeys and accommodation varies from simple lodges in the jungle to boutique colonial hotels in the cities. Highlights of Peru include:
- Cuzco, not just the gateway to Machu Picchu but a striking colonial Spanish city built on Inca foundations.
- The sacred valley with its terraced mountains and incredible Inca sites.
- Machu Picchu!
- Treks to Machu Picchu but also along other less visited Inca trails.
- The Peruvian Amazon where you can see capybara, tapir, otters parrots and even jaguar and ocelot.
- The intensely blue waters of Lake Titicaca and the indigenous communities that live on the floating reed islands.
- Colca Canyon (twice the depth of the Grand Canyon in the US), a deep gorge where in the early morning you can see Condor gliding on the thermals.
- Travelling across the altiplano between Puno and Cuzco by train.