Lying a thousand miles off the East African coast and just 4 degrees south of the equator Seychelles is an archipelago of 115 islands lying in the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean. Renowned for its lush white beaches with granite boulders Seychelles has coral reefs, lush vegetation and soaring mountains. It has a number of nature reserves and interesting wildlife including giant tortoises. Accommodation varies from simple guest houses to island hotels at £10k a night like the one Kate and Wills honeymooned in! There are direct flights from the UK to the main island of Mahe which has a diverse array of accommodation and sights. But we prefer the quieter Praslin, Desroches and La Digue islands, a short flight or boat ride away. There are also luxury island hotels on Desroches, Denis, Bird and Fregate islands. In fact island hopping is one of the best ways to see the Seychelles.
- La Digue, with iconic bouldered white beach has some charming boutique accommodation including the lovely Domaine de l’Orangeraie just 300 metres from a white sand beach and excellent diving nearby
- Desroches island is a 40 minute flight from Mahe has just 48 rooms set amidst coconut palms. Part of the Four Seasons hotel chain it has tennis, bicycles, a pool, gym and its calm waters are ideal for snorkelling, kayaking or diving
- On Praslin we love the Constance Lemuria resort which sits in over a hundred acres of lush vegetation. For golf lovers it has an 18 hole championship golf course but the hotel is also suitable for families with a complimentary children’s club.
- For something more boutique on Praslin stay at L’Archipel a boutique hotel in colonial style buildings which offers boat transfer to nearby Pierre, Curieuse and Sister islands.
- For bird lovers a stay at Bird island Lodge on its own island visited by 2 million terns between May and October and where Hawksbill turtles lay their eggs October to February
Walking in the Seychelles
The Seychelles may not seem like a prime walking destination. If walking is the main focus of your holiday then look elsewhere. But if you want an idyllic beach holiday with some bursts of activity walking through national parks and experiencing incredible biodiversity and fabulous views then take a closer look at the Seychelles. There are over fifteen trails on the islands maintained by the Seychelles National Parks Association and they can be walked with or without a guide. You will find them on Mahe, Praslin, La Digue and Silhouette. On Praslin and La Digue the distances are so small it doesn’t really matter where you stay. But on the main island of Mahe we can find you a hotel with good access to some walking.
Golf in the Seychelles
There is only one 18 hole golf course in the Seychelles but boy what a golf course it is. described as one of the most beautiful courses in the world it lies within the grounds of the Constance Lemuria resort. It includes many water hazards (staff have to don scuba gear to retrieve lost balls which they resell to customers!) and one hole where the golf ball drops 150 feet from the tee to the green below. Green fees are included but buggy hire which is payable is compulsory.
As you would expect in this island paradise, watersports abound. In some of the boutique hotels you will need to hire equipment from local outfits (the hotels will do this for you) but in most of the larger hotels watersports are on site and many are included in the cost of the hotel. The Seychelles even have surfing – best done between June and August. Conversely if you are interested in sea kayaking or SUP boarding then you will prefer the calmer waters of November to February.
from £2495 per person incl flights
Family summer holiday
from £2250 per person in August
from £2499 pp
British passport holders do not need a visa ti enter the UK just a passport valid for the length of their stay.
Check the NHS Fit for Travel website for advice on immunisations
Yes. There are direct flights to Mahe with BA but you will need to take a second plane or boat to get to other islands. You can also fly via Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha
from other UK airports